Only treat the modifier on skull tokens as 0, not the whole token. It's still a skull token, so any additional effects (from the scenario reference card, Spells, etc.) trigger.
Erratum: Jim Culver's Deckbuilding Options should read: "... up to five other level 0 cards from any other classes (, , , and/or )." - FAQ, v.1.5, April 2019
Behandel den Modifikator auf -Markern, die du enthüllst, als eine „0.“
Immer wenn du einen -Marker enthüllst, darfst du ihn stattdessen als -Marker behandeln.
Jim Culver - Back
Deckbau-Optionen: Magierkarten () Stufe 0-5, Neutrale Karten Stufe 0-5, bis zu fünf Karten der Stufe 0 beliebiger anderer Klassen.
Deckbau-Voraussetzungen (zählen nicht gegen die Deckgröße): Jims Trompete, Letzte Rhapsodie, 1 zufällige Grundschwäche.
Jim is frequently under-estimated, and for two main reasons:
- Most people play on Standard, where his special ability is not as important.
- People miss the single most important thing to know about Jim!
- Jim can use Scavenging to pull Grotesque Statues Back
- The fact that =0 shifts the mathematics of the chaos bag in such a way that you are extremely likely to prevail when you get two draws. In fact, since =0, you are very likely to prevail by 2 or more, and since Grotesque Statue goes to your discard pile immediately, you can actually use a Grotesque Statue pull to get a Grotesque Statue back!
- Double the draws means double the chances for tokens. This is less important now with Carcosa out, but earlier it was very important to get to activate Jewel of Aureolus. Now, with Uncage the Soul, this is less important.
Once Jim gets a statue, he is essentially (invincible) [arkhamdb.com
One of my favorite Investigators, if a bit of a sleeper compared to other Mystic investigators.
While Jim Culver has the basics of a good Mystic Investigator, he does not have the longevity of his spells like Akachi or the Sheer Willpower and low health enemy removal as Agnes. Nor does he have the potential of controlling Doom and using it to his benefit like Marie Lambeau. However, how he plays is something more subtle, with the ability to use the Skull token at a constant "0" value in most scenarios. This ability it still pretty powerful for balancing the Chaos Bag in your favor. (Note though you will still have to deal with the effects of what the skull token brings for scenario and even on player cards).
Being a Dunwich investigator as well, he has access up to five out-of-class level 0 cards. This means you have a bit of flexibility of building out Jim how you see fit. This makes him very good in terms of playing him as a strong solo investigator but also an investigator that can slot in well in multiplayer as a support character. And one other benefit is that he has one more health compared to Agnes and Akachi, which does make him more survivable.
A downside to the jazz player is his low agility and having one less willpower compared to Agnes and Akachi. However this is made up with Mystics having ways to buff their already amazing willpower and spells that cover their stats. And while his Intellect and Fight is at three, he is still going to struggle with hardier enemies and high shroud locations without the spells.
If you are looking for an investigator who is provides an interesting challenge to deckbuilding but has a large degree of both reliability and versatility, Jim Culver is your main man.
I've just recently started a 2 gator playthrough of Cirle Undone with Jim. I'll have a deck list to come soon but at the moment it has gone well using the sealing cards as well as Defiance to mitigate the bag in Jim's favor. Most every test so far as long as I can at least match the test value has gone my way. I feel like sealing mechanic may have jumped up Jim's power level by quite a bit.