- Q: I have several questions about Concealed today, gathered from several people who have encountered confusion while playing The Scarlet Keys. 1) To what extent are effects on cards replaced by exposing a concealed mini-card (henceforth referred to as just "exposure" or "exposing")? For example, if I use Breaking and Entering to discover a clue and automatically evade an enemy, can a discover a clue and use the automatic evade to expose? Or automatically evade an actual enemy that happens to be engaged with me, and replace the clue discovery with exposure? The rules state that "all effects" of the ability that performs exposure are replaced by exposure, but the examples only seem to show instances where individual effects are replaced, not multiple effects. 2) Similarly, if I investigate with Thieves' Kit to expose, is the resource I gain from a successful investigation also replaced by exposure? 3) The rules state that an effect that deals 3 damage to every enemy at a location cannot do multiple exposures; only one mini-card can be exposed by any ability. However, can such an effect still deal damage to enemies at the location, as well as exposing a mini-card? 4) Suppose Trish Scarborough is at a location with solely a concealed mini-card. After she discovers 1 or more clues, can she trigger her ability, and use the automatic evasion that results to expose? Can she use the "discover 1 additional clue" option to expose? The straightforward answer would appear to be "no", since she is not at a location with an enemy, but it's slightly ambiguous because automatic evasion can be performed on mini-cards as if they were engaged enemies, so that might let her ability trigger. 5) Suppose Trish is at a location where she is engaged with an enemy, and there is also a concealed mini-card at that location. Now that there is an enemy, her ability can definitely trigger no matter what (and if there was a clue there, she could definitely replace the clue discovery option with an exposure). However, if there were no clues at the location, could she use the automatic evasion option of her ability to expose? Or can the automatic evasion only target "that enemy" (i.e. the actual enemy engaged with her). A: To answer your question(s):
- 1) A single effect that qualifies as “attacking, evading, or successfully investigating” would be replaced with the exposing of a concealed card. Another way to think of it is that an instance of damage, evasion, or clue discovering gets replaced. That in mind:
- a) For Breaking and Entering, you can replace either the successful investigation attempt (clue-gathering) OR the auto-evade with the exposing of the concealed mini-card, since these are two separate effects.
- With Thieves' Kit, you may replace the clues you would gather on a success with the exposing of the revealed card, and you’d still get 1 resource since that’s a separate effect.
- An effect that deals damage to “each enemy” at a location would have its entire damage effect replaced with the exposing of the concealed card.
- If Trish is at a location with only a concealed card, she is not considered to be at a location with an enemy, so her reaction ability cannot trigger or be replaced with an expose.
- If there are no clues at her location, Trish cannot trigger her reaction ability. Additionally, because the concealed mini-card is not an enemy at that time, she cannot evade “that enemy.”
Nachdem du 1 oder mehr Hinweise an einem Ort mit einem Gegner entdeckt hast: Entdecke entweder 1 zusätzlichen Hinweis an jenem Ort oder entkomme jenem Gegner automatisch. (Nur ein Mal pro Runde.)
-Effekt: +2. Falls dies eine Ermittlung ist, darfst du einen beliebigen enthüllten Ort wählen; du ermittelst jetzt, als ob du stattdessen an jenem Ort wärst.
This card’s ability now reads: “After you discover 1 or more clues at a location with an enemy: Either discover 1 additional clue at that location, or automatically evade that enemy if it is non-Elite. (Limit once per round.)
Trish Scarborough - Back
Deckbauoptionen: Schurkenkarten () Stufe 0-5, Neutrale Karten Stufe 0-5, Sucherkarten () Stufe 0-2.
Deckbau-Voraussetzungen (zählen nicht gegen die Deckgröße): In den Schatten, Schattenagenten, 1 zufällige Grundschwäche.
Trish Scarborough is a green/yellow investigator and is equally good at both. Her ability is the best evasion ability in the game. No other character can exhaust an elder God with two bucks and zero actions by working a hunch. (She also gets a clue.)
And when she gets a few XP, money and clues pour from the sky. Lockpicks and Gregory means you’re starting at a +8 to get clues. If you have Lola Santiago too, you start at a +10. Plus, Lola’s fast ability means that if you have resources equal to the shroud location of where you are, You don’t have to worry about enemies spawning on you during the encounter phase. Your guardians will love you.
Her signature weakness is something your allies can deal with, or you can just see it as a two health speedbump. If you have Obfuscation, for two bucks and zero actions you can avoid even that consequence.
And if you want to play guardian angel, you can use “In the know” to leave enemies tapped all across the map.
Two willpower won’t get you far. Hopefully other people are there to deal with such petty trivialities as the encounter deck. If not, do yourself a favor and grab Quick Study. It’s always nice to have a few clues scattered around, anyway.
Ask your friendly neighborhood guardian to leave a Handcuffed enemy for you, so trish can engage it and use her ability all day.